Re: problem with apt-get install AND apt-get upgrade

In <[🔎] 406058322.9701.1302882000282.JavaMail.fmail@mwmweb034>, Christian Jakob
wrote:
>root@debian # apt-cache policy
>Package files:
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>  release a=now
>  -1 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/contrib Packages
>  release v=5.0,o=Debian,a=oldstable,l=Debian-Security,c=contrib
>  origin security.debian.org
>  -1 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages
>  release v=5.0,o=Debian,a=oldstable,l=Debian-Security,c=main
>  origin security.debian.org
>  -1 http://ftp.de.debian.org lenny/contrib Packages
>  release v=5.0.8,o=Debian,a=oldstable,l=Debian,c=contrib
>  origin ftp.de.debian.org
>  -1 http://ftp.de.debian.org lenny/main Packages
>  release v=5.0.8,o=Debian,a=oldstable,l=Debian,c=main
>  origin ftp.de.debian.org
>Pinned packages:
>  flashplugin-nonfree -> (not found)

You've pinned all your available repositories to a negative value.  APT
refuses to install any package with a negative priority, which is why none of
your packages have installation candidates.

Check /etc/apt/preferences and /etc/apt/preferences.d/*; you've got at least
on stanza wrong in them.  (man 5 apt_preferences) for the available
documentation.

If you can't fix them, try deleting them.  With as few repositories as you
have, preferences won't matter too much, if at all.  They are mainly used for
maintaining mixed systems.

>root@debian # apt-cache policy aptitude
>aptitude:
>  Installed: (none)
>  Candidate: (none)
>  Version table:
>  0.4.11.11-1~lenny1 0
>  -1 http://ftp.de.debian.org lenny/main Packages
>
>>Can you also post the output of (apt-get install aptitude) non-i18n-ized?
>
>If you tell me how to do this, then YES.

Nevermind, you posted it for htop, and that is sufficient for me to confirm
what I thought was wrong.