Exim4 -- MANY "temporarily rejected RCPT" WITHOUT any reason?

Hi,

I've started to have a problem yesterday with exim4 on an old stable box (lenny).

#  exim4 -bV
Exim version 4.69 #1 built 30-Jan-2011 20:48:48
Copyright (c) University of Cambridge 2006
Berkeley DB: Berkeley DB 4.6.21: (September 27, 2007)
Support for: crypteq iconv() IPv6 PAM Perl Expand_dlfunc GnuTLS move_frozen_messages Content_Scanning Old_Demime Lookups: lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch cdb dbm dbmnz dnsdb dsearch ldap ldapdn ldapm mysql nis nis0 passwd pgsql sqlite
Authenticators: cram_md5 cyrus_sasl dovecot plaintext spa
Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral iplookup manualroute queryprogram redirect
Transports: appendfile/maildir/mailstore/mbx autoreply lmtp pipe smtp
Fixed never_users: 0
Size of off_t: 8
Configuration file is /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated

/var/log/exim4/mainlog is spewing lots of "temporarily rejected RCPT" lines without any explanation.

I've looked through all files changed in the last 24 hours (since just before the problems started), but cannot find anything significant.

Some emails are getting through, others are not -- I don't know what the difference is b/w the two types. Not many emails are getting through.

Server doesn't appear to be heavily loaded either.

I can't make sense of this change and therefore don't know what to do to fix it.

Any ideas?

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM