Re: Managing large numbers (100+) of Debian-based machines

Actually, this is going to be one of my projects at work in the near future. I have some experience with cfengine2 and cfengine3 from my previous job. I have a   VM set up to run puppet, on my home network, but haven't had a chance to revisit it. So I will give you my opinions.

* cfengine2 - this is the granddaddy of configuration management tools, written by Mark Burgess back in 1993 (?). Its a great tool, the language is a little long in the tooth, however there is a ton of documentation for it. It is fairly easy to get stood up. The syntax is perl-like.

* cfengine3 - a complete rewrite of the cfengine code, including the declarative language. There was not not nearly as many docs, and last I checked (about 6 months ago), was still under heavy development, so the code is something of a moving target for the docs. Now, I have a personal opinion, and that while Mark writes a very good CM engine, I have a hard time following his docs...And since his is the only game in town for CF3, I had a hard time upgrading from CF2 to CF3 in our rather complex environment. , which consisted of multiple HPC clusters which were marginally the same, plus a number of standalone boxes.

* puppet - ruby-on-rails based. From an article on oreillynet, "while cfengine focuses on managing textfiles, puppet manages semantically more powerful constructs like users, services and packages..."

There is also bcfg2 (puppet-based),,, chef, uniconf, cdist, munki, etc....

--b

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Peter Beck <peter@datentraeger.li> wrote:
On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 13:45 +0200, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi, maybe you can have a look at cfengine[1], seems to fit your needs
> and it's readily available in Debian. I don't have hands-on experience
> with it though.

what about puppet ? Anyone made experience with puppet on debian ?

http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/Puppet_Debian