Re: mouse speed too fast

On 04/03/2011 09:04 PM, Tyler Smith wrote:
Chance Platt<chance@sdf.lonestar.org>  writes:

On 04/03/2011 05:58 PM, Tyler Smith wrote:

I've tried using xset to change the sensitivity, but I have only
succeeded in making it even faster (for instance, using xset m 10 0). My
attempts to slow the mouse down (xset m 1/100 100, xset m 1/1000 100
etc.) have not produced a mouse that is slow enough for easy use. Is
there something else I can do to slow the mouse down, or some other
incantation of xset that might persuade X that I want a _really_ slow
mouse?

http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/PointerAcceleration

Pay attention especially to ConstantDeceleration if regular options
don't help much.

That looks helpful, but how do I actually make the changes? I assume
that I should edit /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi, and I used the
code provided in your link as an example. Do I have to restart X to get
the config re-read? Your link suggest I can stop hal with
/etc/init.d/hald stop, but that file doesn't exist on my system.

What I'm finding on Google seems to suggest that most people interact
with Hal through some sort of desktop-environment-specific device
manager, but I don't see one for Fluxbox. The actual hal docs are a bit
imposing for me - I don't want to program it, I just want to tweak the
configuration!

First, I made the assumption you're running Squeeze or later (whoops). If you're running Lenny, you can't follow the instructions I gave because the improved mouse handling is not available in Lenny.

You have one of two options really: the HAL path or the xorg.conf path. I'd follow the xorg.conf path because I"m familiar with it and it is relatively easy to work with. Also, on my box, I have both fluxbox and gnome installed and do not have the hal package installed - AFAIK it is optional and being obsoleted by udev anyway. It may be completely superfluous in your situation.

To move on from where you're at: either undo your changes to HAL configuration, uninstall the "hal" package if possible, or hope someone who is more familiar with HAL is on the list. :)

The xorg.conf route is pretty easy. Some basic information about xorg.conf: http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg

The basics: you probably don't have an xorg.conf. Create one if you don't, by, as root, using "Xorg -configure". This creates a default working xorg.conf. Then add your custom pointer settings to your heart's desire, move the file to /etc/X11/, and start X. If X fails to start for some reason, move or rename xorg.conf and try again.

For each change to your xorg.conf, you can usually just logout of your session and log back in for the changes to take effect. If that doesn't seem to work, restart X.