Re: recover partition table

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 09:59:20 -0400 (EDT), Geronimo wrote:

> Not sure about fdisk. Does fdisk write partition table entry only?
>
> ... or does it have side effects on existing data - like wiping out superblock
> of existing fs, so you have to format the partition?
> I don't want to increase the damage, therefore I ask before doing anything.

That's an excellent point, Geronimo.  Sometimes partitioning programs do
stuff like that.  I know the old FDISK command from MS-DOS used to write out
a few blocks of binary zeros to each partition it allocated to avoid
left-over data from causing problems.  In the case of Linux fdisk, parted,
etc. I don't know the answer to that question.  One thing you can try is
to allocate a small partition in an area that you know was free space,
format it, put some data in it, delete the partition, then reallocate it
exactly where it was before, and see if you can still read the data.  Then
delete the partition again.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :