[help-a-newb] problem with authenticating with gui users-groups manager

I think it's a bug, but I'll ask here first if anyone has seen it --

When I first logged in to the initial user, I was able to authenticate
two or three times in the gui users/groups manager, and use it to add
my first user to the admin and sudoers groups. After that, I can't
authenticate with the gui tool.

Even when I could, it would give me an error about not getting a
response from the authenticator before I could type the password in.

The account is set to Japanese, perhaps that has something to do with it?