Re: Cinelerra - not seeing video output [Solved]

On 17/03/11 08:34, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
Le 17/03/2011 08:34, Alan Chandler a écrit :
On 17/03/11 01:03, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
16/03/2011 21:01, Alan Chandler wrote:
I would like to use Cinelerra for some video editing, but firing it up
displays the correct windows and data, but nothing is displayed in the
video checker and compositor windows.

It used to - I made a large complex video before, and I loaded up the
xml project file, and everything was there except the video outputs.

Previously Cinelerra would prompt for more memory - but it doesn't now.

Any idea how I can get it to display video content?

(I am running 32 bit version of Debian).

Hi, we could use a bit of extra info here, what Debian version are you
running ? What graphic board and driver ? Where did you get Cinelerra,
debian-multimedia ? Is it Cinelerra proper or "community edition" ?

Did you try to run cinelerra from a console, see if it tells something
useful (error) ?

In answer to your questions, I am running Sid, its Cinelerra 4.2 (which
I assume is the Community Edition from Debian Multimedia - but I am not
sure - but a standard Debian package).  Its an Intel On board Graphics
GMA 950 (I think) which is driven with the X11-XV driver by Cinelerra

I got the answer on IRC late last night - I was using RGBA-Float as the
color mode, and that is broken.  Switch to RBBA-8bit and it works fine.

Good you solved it, for the record debian-multimedia has both "vanilla"
cinelerra from heroin virtual [1], and cinelerra-cv [2] which is a
community alternate build (now less actively maintained since a new
project "lumiera [3]" is planned to replace cinelerra-cv).

I did eventually realise that - I was infact using the Non Community version - I had some other problems and tried the CV version and that actually did support RGBA-Float, although I have run into some other issues (it crashed and when I reloaded the backup.xml file and saved it as my project xml file I find it locks solid every time I load it..

I've now tried Openshot, Kdenlive, Cinelerra, Cinelerra CV and Piviti to edit videos, and every single one of them has caused problems. All except Kdenlive has crashed at some point, Kdenlive is giving me poor quality sound output and seems to be blanking out my single image when displayed for a long period of time.

I am currently using Blender 2.5's Video Sequence Editor and so far that is holding up the best (although it appears I have to convert my ogv files to mp4 as they don't display in the preview window).

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk