how to send DEL to virtualbox client

I'm running my first virtualbox client (Windows XP) on a host that has Linux
testing (Wheezy).  Vbox is 4.0.2_OSE r35621.  The extension pack and guest
additions seem to be mostly functional.

Can someone tell me how to send DEL from the keyboard to an XP program on the
client?  I use DEL often, but it is being grabbed before it gets to XP.  I
tried entering DEL with the vbox host key (R-CTRL) to no effect.  The
environment is X windows running the fvwm window manager.  I'm guessing that
fvwm passes DEL through, because it did when I was running VMware Server
(albeit on what is now oldstable Debian).

Thanks.