Re: Help needed for my first mail server

Stan Hoeppner wrote:
Rubbish. ;)  There is no technical difference between a static IP and
dynamic WRT SMTP, thus one can "properly" run a mail server for both
sending and receiving directly.  The problem one runs into here, which
is probably what you meant to say, is merely receiver policy.  There are
few today that accept connections from PBL/DUL listed IPs, or those with
dynamic/generic rDNS.  Thus, use SASL auth to forward all outbound mail
through your ISP.

Thank you for all your clarifications, I'm sure you understand exactly what I meant and you are 100% correct with your response, I agree with it totally.

I did run a mail server for quite some time without rDNS, but then it started to be a problem. Static IP _should_ be standard and then there are usually no issues like this, typically. Although using a static IP from a range that is "considered" to be dynamic can still be a real issue, even if the IP really is a permanent static assignment from the ISP.

Heck, there are also potential issues if your static IP is close by an offender [one that is a spammer, runs an open relay or even if they have a bad reputation for whatever reason] -- some lookups / services fail you on that and you have to do follow up :(

So yes, in some cases, it is simply easier to use your ISP for sending. Although I've heard that even using SASL auth via the ISP or a hosting company isn't enough as some providers get more trouble with that due to many users having a very simple and guessable username/password, so they dis-allow it too. For me, well, I like to run my own server as best I can and then not have to rely too much on any third parties which can add another failure point as well.

Thanks again.

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM