Re: Canonical source for the new CD signing key's fingerprint?

Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
>on 04:56 Wed 16 Mar, Todd A. Jacobs (codegnome.consulting+debian@gmail.com) wrote:
>> I've recently downloaded the net installation image for Squeeze, but
>> am really uncomfortable with the fact that I can't establish a firm
>> trust path to the CD signing key. Is there a canonical place to get
>> the fingerprint of this key, so that at least one can have some
>> confidence that the key one is validating with is at least the
>> widely-known (and generally accepted) one?
>>
>> As a hack, I've done this on an Ubuntu 10.10 system:
>>
>>   gpg --recv-keys 6294BE9B
>>   gpg --keyring /usr/share/keyrings/debian-keyring.gpg -kvv 6294BE9B
>>
>> While this shows that this particular key has been signed by some
>> Debian developers, it doesn't actually validate that the key is the
>> official key for verifying the ISOs.
>>
>> Can anyone point me to ANY debian.org page that defines the official
>> key for CD images? Major bonus for any official links to fingerprints
>> for the CD signing key.
>
>You don't trust a key by where you got it.
>
>You trust a key by who's signed it.
>
>    http://www.rubin.ch/pgp/weboftrust.en.html
>    http://www.pgpi.org/doc/pgpintro/
>
>Otherwise: you're saying you trust DNS more than PKI?
>
>It would be a Good Thing for the Debian CD signing key to be more widely
>signed (assuming that 6294BE9B is in fact the signing key).
>
>My signing this email simply says that a person who has access to the
>associated GPG private key wrote it, and (assuming the signature
>validates), content hasn't been altered.
>
>Without known trusted signatures on my key, I could be anybody.

The CD signing key 6294BE9B has been signed by a number of people,
including the CD team leader (me!), a previous DPL (well, also me!)
and the two current Release Managers. I'll be adding more signatures
soon, I hope. That key has not been in existence very long, and these
things take time...

In the meantime (and I've mentioned this to the OP over on the -cd
list), an update to the Debian website should go live shortly listing
all the keys we use / have used, as it seems some people prefer that
to the WoT.

There's no sensation to compare with this
Suspended animation, A state of bliss