Re: Extending and releasing open source software

On 2011-03-15 09:26:32 Nate Bargmann wrote:
>My question upon reading the initial post was whether the MIT license
>allows changing the licensing terms?  Is it like the BSD no attribution
>clause license in that respect?  If so, then licensing under the GPL3 is
>likely legal.  If not, then that opens an entire can of legal worms.

Overview from the FSF:
"
X11 License

This is a simple, permissive non-copyleft free software license, compatible
with the GNU GPL. Older versions of XFree86 used the same license, and some of
the current variants of XFree86 also do. Later versions of XFree86 are
distributed under the XFree86 1.1 license.
This license is sometimes called the MIT license, but that term is misleading,
since MIT has used many licenses for software.
"

"
Modified BSD license

This is the original BSD license, modified by removal of the advertising
clause. It is a simple, permissive non-copyleft free software license,
compatible with the GNU GPL.
If you want a simple, permissive non-copyleft free software license, the
modified BSD license is a reasonable choice. However, it is risky to recommend
use of “the BSD license”, because confusion could easily occur and lead to use
of the flawed original BSD license. To avoid this risk, you can suggest the
X11 license instead. The X11 license and the revised BSD license are more or
less equivalent.
This license is sometimes referred to as the 3-clause BSD license.
"

Both allow re-licensing.  The X11 license is explicit about this.  The 3-
clause (or 2-clause) BSD license is implicit about it.

>I'm guessing here, but speaking only for myself, assuming the MIT
>license is similar to the BSD no attribution clause license, unless the
>modification is trivial, I don't wish to have my code used by a
>proprietary interest without compensation.

While I'm of the same mind in some respects, I think you must consider the
value your contributions vs. the value of being able to "play well" with
upstream.  I'm sure there are non-trivial improvements to (e.g.) PostgreSQL
that would be best released under a non-GPL's license so that they could be
integrated and maintained along-side the core code.