Re: Suggestion for a smartphone running natively LINUX? :)

Brad Alexander wrote at 2011-03-15 04:03 -0500:
> I guess that depends on your definition.

Absolutely.

> if your metric is being able to
> compile your own kernel on the device, then no, it is not "native." My
> understanding from the OP's question was native Linux being defined as
> "running Linux out of the box." If this is incorrect, my apologies.

Hmm, interesting.  Are we taking Linux out of its tar-box (works out-of-the-box
on a x86 computer) or the device out of its cardboard-box (Android devices run
Linux)?  Perhaps we need some new/other terminology.  :)

I purchased the N810 hoping naively that I could run mainline Linux on it
eventually.  It does not and probably never will.  The N900, if that page I
linked is correct, does not; it might never.  I don't want someone else to make
the same mistake I did.