OT: servers vs. lightning and power outages

How do you protect servers from lightning?  What backup power sources do you use to keep them running during power outages?  Unlike a home computer for strictly personal use, you can't just shut down and unplug server equipment every time there are thunderstorms in the area, ESPECIALLY in you are located in a lightning-prone area like Florida.

Yes, I know there are UPS systems with surge protection (like the APC 350 product I use), but I suspect that some products are much better (and much more expensive) than others.  My APC 350 surge protector with a small battery works for me (though I still unplug my equipment from the power line and phone line when I go out of town or expect thunderstorms), but I'm not running anything on my home computer that the world needs to be able to access 24/7/365.

--
Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com>