Re: What are your best practices for running Debian unstable?

2011/3/13 Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>:
> On Sb, 12 mar 11, 19:07:50, darkestkhan wrote:
>>
>> I'm running sid / experimental so dist-upgrade in my case is almost
>> like throwing away half of the system; And I'm using aptitude
>> safe-upgrade which is good solution. Also frequent ( I'm doing upgrade
>> at least 2 times a day ) upgrades are really sorting out most of
>> inter-release changes that may ( or may not ) happen in Sid.
>
> That's not my experience, left undone some full-upgrades just tend to
> accumulate more packages to be removed. Especially library packages are
> "removed". Example:
>

> Package foo version 1.2 depends on a library with package name
> libbar1.2. Now foo version 1.3 is uploaded, which depends on a library
> with name libbar1.3, but for some reason libbar1.3 conflicts with
> libbar1.2. apt will not be able to upgrade foo unless you allow it to
> remove libbar1.2, which is normal and what you would want.

In which case I'm manually intervening, though aptitude is solving
this problem in most cases for me really gracefully. Running apt-get
dist-upgrade would cause removal of ~2GB ( latex, fonts, and few other
) of packages just to get slightly newer library, which breaks those
packages.

> Unfortunately there are also cases when a dist/full-upgrade will do the
> wrong thing. Distinguishing between the two cases needs experience (but
> aptitude's interactive resolver is of great help).
>
>> Also
>> packages in Sid or experimental can have unsatisfied dependencies.
>
> You might want to add testing to your sources.list, because it can
> happen that a package is removed from unstable to unblock a complex
> transition to testing.

Maybe, but in this case I would:
a) install/upgrade it before it disappear from sid
b) even if package disappeared it is still installed on my system
c) quite often they are staying in experimental ( or at least that is
my experience )

And most dangerous transitions are occurring in experimental

darkestkhan
jid: darkestkhan@gmail.com
May The Source be with You.