Re: kppp not working after upgrade

On Tue,  8 Mar 2011 15:34:43 +0000 (UTC)

> > I recently upgraded to Debian Squeeze. kppp was working in Lenny,
> > but does not work now. It connects to the modem, and dials, but it
> > then gives an error 1 (pppd error that apparently means "An
> > immediately fatal error of some kind occurred, such as an essential
> > system call failing, or running out of virtual memory.") Sometimes
> > when I try to run it, the program freezes, and I have to use xkill
> > to get rid of it. I can connect to the internet using pon/poff (via
> > a setup with pppconfig), but kppp does not work. I'm a member of
> > both dialout and dip groups. The file /etc/ppp/peers/kppp-options
> > is set to noauth (it's uncommented, and thus working).
> >
> > Any suggestions on how I can fix kppp?
>
> I would try to run it from konsole in the hope you can get further
> info on the failure. Is there anything else (besides that succint
> "error 1") in the kppp log? :-?
>
> Another thing you could try is to create a new dial-out profile to
> avoid any incompatibility with the older configuration.

Thanks for the response.  I created a new dial-out profile, but it
still did not work.  Here is the kppp log:

Mar  9 23:29:05 debian pppd[5454]: The remote system is required to
authenticate itself
Mar  9 23:29:05 debian pppd[5454]: but I couldn't find any suitable
secret (password) for it to use to do so.
Mar  9 23:29:05 debian pppd[5454]: (None of the available passwords
would let it use an IP address.)

Here is what happens when I run it from the terminal:

mark@debian:~$ kppp
Opener: received SetSecret
Opener: received SetSecret
Opener: received OpenLock

Opener: received OpenDevice
Opener: received ExecPPPDaemon
In parent: pppd pid 5427
Opener: received OpenResolv
Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such device
Kernel supports ppp alright.
pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
pppd: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use
to do so. pppd: (None of the available passwords would let it use an IP
address.) It was pppd that died
pppd exited with return value 1
Sending 5422 a SIGUSR1
Opener: received RemoveSecret
Opener: received RemoveSecret
Opener: received OpenResolv
Opener: received OpenResolv
Opener: received RemoveLock
Opener: received PPPDExitStatus
Opener: received PPPDExitStatus
kdeinit4: Shutting down running client.
kdeinit4: preparing to
launch /usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so Connecting to
deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
kdeinit4: preparing to
launch /usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_kded4.so kdeinit4:
preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4 kbuildsycoca4 running...
kdeinit4: preparing to
launch /usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_kconf_update.so Connecting
to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)

Mark