Re: Your favorite server apps (firewall, DHCP, etc.)

Jason Hsu wrote at 2011-02-28 09:48 -0600:
> Since I'm looking for a job as a Linux IT consultant, I need a portfolio of
> favorite server applications

I had trouble finding a utility I liked for firewall.  Scripts for iptables are
slow and bulky, and with other frontends I don't really know what is happening
with the actual firewall.  The ferm packaged solved all this by allowing me to
write normal iptables rules in a language that is easy to use.  When applying
the rules, ferm uses the iptables-restore method which is *much* faster than
the iptables command and ferm has an interactive option for reverting in case a
firewall change breaks your ssh connection.