Re: Debian 6 64-bit and Openbox: Opinions, Suggestions, Pitfalls.

--- On Sun, 2/27/11, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Du, 27 feb 11, 12:05:11, Patrick
> Bartek wrote:
> >
> > My system:
> >
> > Abit KN9 motherboard, built-in audio and ethernet
>
> Watch for firmware errors in dmesg and install the
> apropiate package
> from non-free if needed

I'll keep an weather eye out.

> > AMD Athlon64 X2 2.9 GHZ
> > EVGA GeForce 8400GS graphics card, fanless (by
> design)
>
> If you need 3d performance you'll need to activate non-free
> and install
> the package nvidia-glx

Have no need for 3D graphics.  Never use anything that requires it.  But if I ever do, the card supports it and I have your recommendation.

> > 4GB RAM
>
> If you go with 32bit install (i386) I would recommend the
> -amd64 kernel.

Nope.  Going 64-bit all the way. Have the CD burned and everything.  All previous Fedora installs on this machine have been 64-bit.  I see no reason to change.  I'm aware of 64-bit pitfalls:  mainly, the lack of a 64-bit Flash plugin that isn't an alpha or beta.  I may just install a 32-bit browser (and proper 32-bit libraries) and use 32-bit plugins.  I did this with Fedora 6 64-bit and never had any problems.  I've never had good results wrapping 32-bit plugins.

Thanks for your input.