Re: Debian 6 64-bit and Openbox: Opinions, Suggestions, Pitfalls.

--- On Sun, 2/27/11, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On 02/27/2011 02:05 PM, Patrick
> Bartek wrote:
> > Having tired of Fedora's short support life (13
> [snip]
> >
> > My system:
> >
> > Abit KN9 motherboard, built-in audio and ethernet
> > AMD Athlon64 X2 2.9 GHZ
> > EVGA GeForce 8400GS graphics card, fanless (by
> design)
> > 4GB RAM
> > 160GB SATA HD
> > Pioneer DVR-112D IDE DVD/CD Writer
> >
> > Any opinions, suggestions or pitfalls?
> >
> > [snip]
>
> That's a heck of a lot like my system (except that my mobo
> is newer
> and CPU & GPU are slower), and Sid with the XFce DE
> works perfectly
> on it.

I've got XFCE running on a Debian "Etch" install on a 10-year-old Thinkpad 240X (500MHz P3 & 192MB RAM) and it works just fine, but I've found I don't care for XFCE all that much.  For a "lightweight" GUI environment, I prefer LXDE.  However, I'm trying to stick with a "pure" Openbox set up for my main system, since for the most part, I don't really need all the bells and whistles of a fancy desktop or the disk space all the libraries takes up.

Thanks for the info, though.