Re: Squeeze: can Bluetooth headset work without pulseaudio???

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 12:55:42 -0500
John <nesredep@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I have used pulseaudio in the past, and it was horrible to install
> and understand.  But for a while, I had it working on some machine or
> other, with Etch or Lenny (I think).  Sinks, sources, wonderful.  That
> machine is long gone.
>
> I recently installed Squeeze/KDE 4.45, and I wanted to use a bluetooth
> headset.  My Googling led me to believe that it CAN NOT be done
> without pulseaudio.  So I spent hours on getting pulseaudio working,
> sometimes, except when it doesn't, and kaffeine freezes, or youtube
> goes silent.  If it's not working right, just reboot and it might work
> differently for a few minutes.  And, like all linuxers, I hate
> rebooting.
>
> I haven't even tried adding the headset yet, because pulseaudio isn't
> working, not really.  What I really want to do is rip out all the
> pulseaudio stuff and go back to straight ALSA or whatever it was that
> was working so well before.
>
> So my FIRST QUESTION, obviously:  Is there ANY way to run Bluetooth
> headsets through a USB dongle, without pulseaudio, on Squeeze/KDE4.  I
> figure if it's impossible, then choosing between using pulseaudio and
> doing the impossible, I have to go with pulseaudio, but it's a close
> call.

I wish I knew.  I've wasted hours trying to get a bluetooth headset
working, without success.  Documentation is horrible, and everything
you find is incomplete and / or outdated.  Never really had the
patience to install the whole pulseaudio shebang just to do something
really simple that absolutely shouldn't require it.

Celejar