Re: opened OpenSSL port

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 01:50:24AM -0800, erikmccaskey64 wrote:
> Main question: is it safe, to open a port for an openssl server?

It may be safe not to open a port because it can cause attacks.
It may not be safe to close a port because you may not be able to run the service.
So it may be safe to open and protect yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

> Are there any iptables rule for restricting connections to dyndns names?

Look and see if the following link helps.
http://lists.netfilter.org/pipermail/netfilter/2002-March/031869.html

> How could i restrict the openssl server to only accept traffic from given clients? Please help me "think"..
>
> Or are there any "production ready" methods, that can do authentication too? [+using ssl].
> "openssl s_server" and "openssl s_client" would be perfect, but the problem is it doesn't has username/password auth :\

http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Apache/apache-SSL.html
Following the above may help you.

/Jeffrin.

--