Re: How do you remotely access a home server/network?

On Sat 26 Feb 2011 at 19:18:13 -0500, Slicky Johnson wrote:

> Jason, also have a look at the securing Debian manual with attention on
> ssh. Perhaps removing passwords all together and only using a key, no
> root, etc. From experience I will say moving your listening port from
> 22 to something else will keep your logs fairly clear. Internet facing
> machine I'm looking at right now only had 8 packets hit 22 yesterday.
> Dropped of course and not by chance from the same Chinese IP.

Well, that nicely sidestepped the question. :)

The noise on port 22 is of no importance. Its ability to breech sshd is
zero. It reminds me of the futile beating of moths' wings against the
outside of a window in a lighted room on a dark summer night