Re: Three mail server questions

On Sat, 26 Feb 2011 12:25:51 -0500, Brad Alexander wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>
>>  > Right, thats what merrimac is doing (managing for the domain). What
>>  > I am
>> not
>> > understanding, is since everything should be going to the mailboxes
>> > on merrimac, why it is trying to contact hornet again. The mail flow,
>> > as I
>> see
>> > it, should be hornet -> merrimac -> local mailbox.
>>

>> I see.
>>
>> "192.168.0.13" is hornet with Postfix setup to relay all the e-mails to
>> merrimac, right? Then something looks wrong at merrimac's Postfix
>> main.cf, it should be setup to directly delivery e-mails and not
>> fowarding them again.
>>

> That is correct. But merrimac is working correctly for the other hosts
> on the network, all in the same range, though the rest are running
> exim4.

So the problem is limited to just one "domain name" (@bar.hornet.com),
right? The others are working fine?

>> Can you post (or upload to www.pastebin.com) your merrimac's main.cf
>> file? (you can remove/hide any sensible information that file can
>> hold). That way maybe we can get a clue on what's going on.
>>

> Attached below. Also note that all hosts are properly entered in DNS,
> both forward and reverse lookups work.

Ugh... that's a Zimbra setup. I've never worked with Zimbra's Postfix
(AFAIK, Zimbra uses its own Postfix implementation).

I would start looking at your Zimbra's/Postfix virtual domain
configuration (that involves "virtual_mailbox_domains",
"virtual_mailbox_maps", "virtual_alias_maps", "virtual_alias_domains"
variables) and also into your DNS's config file (MX entries for the
"bar.com" domain). All of those should point to merrimac's machine as the
host that manages e-mails for the domain.

You can also make Postfix to be more verbose with the logs by increasing
the variable "debug_peer_level". Make the change at main.cf, reload the
service and try to send a message again. Maybe you can get a clue on why
your Postfix is forwarding the message to the other host.

(Don't forget to restore "the debug_peer_level" to the default value, as
logs can be very verbose).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón