Re: Regular DHCP network drop

on 17:14 Thu 24 Feb, Camaleón (noelamac@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 16:18:21 -0800, Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> > Feb 23 15:09:12 localhost dhclient: Invalid domain list.
>                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You should check if the avobe message is okay (cosmetic error) or can
> indicate a problem.

Good call.

> >     'ip' shows link:
> >     2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
> >     state UP qlen 1000
> >

> > ... but no neighbor:
> >
> >     $ ip neigh show
> >     172.16.0.1 dev eth0  INCOMPLETE
>
> I wonder how relevant for this matter could that be :-?

I'm less familiar with the 'ip' command and its output than I'd like to
be.  Somewhat old-school still.

> (i.e., I get no output while querying some computers in the network but I
> can still ping them)
>
> Anyway, have you tried "ip neigh show 172.16.0.1" or "/usr/sbin/arp -n"?
>
> > And route shows my gateway but it's unpingable.
>
> (...)
>
> All seems to be right, I mean, your eth0 adapter is getting all the data
> from dhcp server (ip, netmask, gateway, dns...) so the weird part is that
> it cannot "ping/reach" the gateway.
>
> Can you explain how is your network configured (firewalls or proxies
> between clients and the gateway...)? Is the gateway another computer or a
> modem/router facility?

We're a Cat-5 / Cat-6 switched office LAN.  My connections are all
wired.

Gateway is a Cisco ASA.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power