Re: selecting old machines for firewall/router use

On Lu, 21 feb 11, 07:17:18, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2011 20 Feb 22:06 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > Some consumer wireless routers don't like to do DHCP pass through, and
> > won't serve DHCP when configured as a bridge, in which case the Linux
> > firewall will have to serve DHCP.  If the wireless router won't pass
> > DHCP from the wired to wireless segments while in bridge mode, then
> > you're in a catch 22.  Some simply can't be configured as bridges at all
> > (access points--APs).  In this case, you'll have to run the Netgear in
> > router mode and run multiple RFC 1918 subnets, one for wireless traffic
> > and one for wired, and you'll have to setup the firewall to perform
> > routing as well as packet filtering.
>
> I found that one does not necessarily need specific bridging support in
> the router firmware to make one a simple AP.  What I've done with three
> different router models--two Linksys and one Netgear--was to disable the
> internal DHCP server and connect the uplink cable to one of the switch
> ports rather than the WAN port.  In that configuration they have worked
> well by simply passing DHCP and other network protocols.  These have
> been models with four wired LAN ports, a wired WAN port, and wireless.
> This has the nice effect of my wireless being on the same subnet as my
> wired LAN and the wireless clients are directly accessable with ping and
> other protocols creating a seemless network.

+1

Just don't forget to make sure the router's internal IP address is
different from any other machine on the network. Easiest way for me was
to just use different sub-nets. Example: leave the router on 192.168.1.1
and build my own network on 192.158.0.XXX

Regards,
Andrei