Re: Console resolution

On 18/02/11 18:24, Camaleón wrote:
On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:05:16 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

On 02/18/2011 07:41 AM, Camaleón wrote:
By installing nvidia driver, "nuvó" should not be loaded.

Also, by disabling KMS (nouveau.modeset=0) "nuvó" should not load.

wow, I just looked at my new Squeeze xorg.conf device section. What is
the nouveau, and should we be using/not using it??

Section "Device"
(...)
      Driver    "nvidia"
                   ^^^^^^

You are not using "nuvó" at all but the nvidia driver :-)

To make this a bit more clear, nvidia card owners can run either:

a) KMS+nouveau
b) nvidia propietary driver
c) vesa/fb
d) nv (obsolete but still available, AFAICT)

d) is the only option that worked for one of my machines. It used to run the nvidia driver, but stopped working when I upgraded it to squeeze and it tried to use the nouveau driver.

Removing all traces of the nvidia driver and just using nouveau caused problems (I can't remember what they were now), but when I changed to the nv driver it was fine.

I'll be upgrading that box to Wheezy soon and see if I can get it to work properly with nouveau then. Oddly, another similar box works fine with either the nvidia driver or nouveau.

I'm not doing anything with it right now, because I like being able to watch MythTV. ;-)

Dom