Re: [aptitude] - resolving dependencies takes a long time

On Wednesday 16 February 2011 14:51:31 KS wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have noticed that aptitude has been behaving differently since after
> the squeeze release. I have a debian/unstable box and when I try to do a
> safe-upgrade with aptitude, it starts with "Resolving dependencies...."
> and uses 100% of one core on my Quad-Core AMD. This goes on for a long
> time ~30 to 40min! What has happened?

Probably there's been some change in Sid and aptitude is having problems
coming up with a resolution that doesn't involve removing packages.  This can
happen during transitions, and the Xorg video driver transition might still be
going on.  (Even if it finished, many such transitions will happen before
Wheezy is frozen.)

Do you have testing in your sources.list as well?  If not, you should put
testing in your sources.list and try the safe-upgrade.  Aptitude may be able
to some up with an upgrade plan more easily if packages/virtuals aren't
completely missing.

Alternatively, you should try a dist-upgrade.  It might propose that many
things get removed, but you can just cancel in that case, and try again later.
When running a testing/unstable system, it is not always possible to safe-
upgrade.

Oh, something else that comes to mind is doing an apt-get update then going
into the aptitude curses/gtk interface and looking for "Obsolete or Locally
Created Packages".  Most (if not all) of those should be marked as
"automatically installed" (using 'M' from the curses interface) or they will
gum up safe-upgrade.