Re: OpenOffice has become LibreOffice?

It's not so much Nokia taking it in a proprietary direction, the fears are more based on the fact that Nokia, now headed by an ex-MS exec, has come out and said that they are going with Windows phone 7 series 7 phone series... They also strongly hinted that Symbian is dead, and implied that both Maemo is EOL'ed and Meego is being scaled back to "research status" after release of a device this year [1] so as not to dilute their affirmation of their MS love. They will be using Bing, Silverlight, the entire suite of MS offerings on phones.[2]

The implication is a strong one, since the pictures I saw were of the Steven Elop and Ballmer high fiving, embracing and carrying on. The other thing is that the word is that MS is giving Nokia a Big Ass Check for this, according to rumors.[3]

Note that I don't always agree with them, but the Linux Action Show guys did justice to the subject IMHO. Go check out the video [4].

[1] http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/02/10/first-meego-smartphone-was-cancelled-by-nokia-second-one-to-be-shown-soon/
[2] http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2011/feb11/02-11partnership.mspx
[3] http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2011/02/14/microsoft-actually-pays-nokia-to-use-windows-phone-7/
[4] http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/?p=5232

--b

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
On Tuesday 15 February 2011 08:22:53 Erwan David wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 03:08:22PM CET,
> Frank Lanitz <frank@frank.uvena.de> said:
> > I'm afraid you missed a lot of news last weeks/month. MySQL, Solaris,
> > OpenOffice (which now became to Oracle OpenOffice)......
>
> And now are fears for Qt...

Well, that has nothing to do with Oracle.

Given Qt's licensing and the number of KDE developers that are comfortable
patching it, I imagine a fork would be easy if necessary.  That said, the Qt
open governance project hasn't died, yet.

Really, there are no indications that Nokia would be taking Qt in a more
proprietary direction.  With their current positioning, it is more likely that
they gradually stop development of Qt rather than try to monetize it, but
that's just my speculation and I get all my information from the interwebs so
I'm likely wrong.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                   ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                   ((_/)o o(\_))