Re: bug in the install

On 2011-02-13 11:44 +0100, Klistvud wrote:

> Dne, 13. 02. 2011 10:39:20 je Travis napisal(a):
>> any ways, do an install with  b43 wireless card and don't feed it
>> firmware.
>> this breaks the network and then the updates and then the voltial
>> line in
>> apt sources.
>
> The move towards a firmware-free kernel was quite prominently
> advertised on Debian-related sites and in articles all over the
> Internet. While it poses practical challenges to the average user, it
> is welcomed as a move in the right direction by many Debian users, me
> humbly included.

I would like to add that this does not really have something to do with
the OP's problem, because Broadcom has never allowed to distribute b43
firmware.  You have to resort to kludges like b43fw-cutter to obtain it,
I went through that hassle myself.

>> in other words
>> if someone attempts to install debian on a laptop its going to be a
>> bitch to
>> get working if they haven't used linux for years.
>
> Agreed, Debian is somewhat messy to install without a working Internet
> connection. It was the same with Lenny. If you want an out-of-the-box
> Debian for Dummies, just install Ubuntu.

In this case he would have had the same problem on Ubuntu, though.
Aptosid might have worked, since they seem to include[0] openfwwf[1]
firmware.  Stefan Lippers-Hollmann has put this into sidux/aptosid for a
long time, yet seems unable to do something about his intention to
include it in Debian[2,3].

Sven

0. http://aptosid.com/debian/pool/fix.main/o/openfwwf/
1. http://www.ing.unibs.it/~openfwwf/