Re: OT: refurb desktop

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 6:24 PM, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:

On Feb 10, 2011 4:57 PM, "I Rattan" <ratta1i@cps.cmich.edu> wrote:

> Any has experience with refurbished desktop for geeks.com?

It's used equipment (that they probably bought from someone else). Check their return policy and test the equipment.

Another thing, you're at a university I'm guessing - they don't have auctions of old stuff. You can get some decent stuff that way for real cheap. Another idea is Craigslist - people try to think that the computer they bought new for $500 can be sold for almost as much, but if you get past that...

These are good ideas.  Also, if your parents work or you have friends that work, companies usually decommission computers after their warranty expires and offer them to employees before sending to e-waste or donation centers.  At big companies this happens almost all year round since systems are purchased at different times and hence warranties expire at various times.  My experience has been that laptops are highly sought by co-workers, but desktops are much less desired.  Best part is, companies usually buy the higher quality components instead of the "home" line of computers, so even after 4 years of office usage, a can of compressed air and some TLC can result in a pretty kick-arse machine.