Re: guidance for making a .Xresources file.

on 11:24 Wed 09 Feb, Bob Proulx (bob@proulx.com) wrote:
> peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> > Appears that I need to make a .Xresources file before
> > TightVNC will work.
>
> Shouldn't need one.
>
> > Can anyone recommend instructions or examples for the task?
>
> To workaround the noise create an empty file.
>
>   $ touch .Xresources
>
> > The transcript from the TightVNC follows.
> > 09/02/11 08:45:59 Listening for VNC connections on TCP port 5901
> > xrdb: No such file or directory
> > xrdb: can't open file '/home/peter/.Xresources'
> > peter@dalton:~$
>
> The default file created automatically by vnc (it should have stated
> that somewhere in all of the many lines of output noise) contains the
> following:
>
>   #!/bin/sh
>
>   xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
>   xsetroot -solid grey
>   #x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
>   #x-window-manager &
>   # Fix to make GNOME work
>   export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1
>   /etc/X11/Xsession
>
> That is a default because most people have a .Xresources file.  It is
> a pretty simple and brute force default.  But you can edit that file
> yourself.  Just edit it to your preferences.

They do?

It's not configured by default or populated in /etc/skel.  I doubt
"most" users would go about adding one themselves.  Yes, _if_ you're
going to specify custom xrdb resources, that's the default place to do
so, but for the bulk of the userbase, that's probably two or three
levels of obscure arcana.

An empty .Xresources should work just fine, but if that's required by
the tightvnc (or other) package, I'd file a bug.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius
Chief Scientist / Robot Wrangler             When you seek unlimited power