Re: 64bit vs 32bit on a 64bit System

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Raffaele Morelli wrote:

2011/2/9 Boblitz John <John.Boblitz@bertschi.com>

 We are internally debating whether to install the 64bit port on our 64bit
machine.

Are there any reasons to NOT use the 64bit port?

Cheers,

John Boblitz

?!  :-)
IMHO I see no reasons at all.
I am running amd64 (both on production servers and desktops) before it
became official (etch I guess) without any problem.

If you want to use the machine for java applications/development, you should check if everyting works correctly on
a 64 bit system. I recently had massive problems with tenwork connections from Java processes on a 64 bit machine. If you have any special requirements as which java version to use, you should best stick to the 32 bit version with the large memory extension. (with heavy java development you always want more than 4 GB RAM available for greedy processes)

--
peter koellner <peter@asgalon.net>