Re: best labtop for debian

Celejar wrote:
> I'm curious - everyone has always seemed to love ThinkPads, but I've
> never understood what exactly makes them so popular.  I'm not
> disagreeing or challenging - I've never used one, and I just want to
> understand why everyone swears by them.

The IBM ThinkPads were always solid equipment and all of the hardware
was supported very well.  They did what you expected a laptop to do in
that all of the peripherals worked with Linux drivers.  Networking
worked with native drivers.  Graphics display worked with native
drivers.  Suspend to ram works.  Suspend to disk works.  The volume
buttons work.  The keyboard light can be toggled on and off.  The
special function keys work.  Battery life is reasonable.  The keyboard
is the best of any of the laptops I have used.  In my experience
everything "just works".

Contrast that experience to other brands of laptops I have used where
only 80% of the peripherals had working Linux drivers.  With one I had
endless trouble with the graphics chip and eventually traded the
machine out.  With one I could only get suspend to work by using the
kernel patches for suspend2 (now known as tux-on-ice).  Excellent as
those were it meant I always required a custom patched kernel.  But I
also required a custom kernel for the wifi driver on that machine.  So
I couldn't just install security upgrades for kernels but always had
to spend the time to build patched new ones.  Another machine I could
never get all of the special function keys running.  There seems to
alway be pieces that never function with Linux.  Vendors put on
proprietary (often very cheap) hardware that causes endless problems
for users.

For a long time it was very useful for people who installed GNU/Linux
on a new laptop to put up a page on the web documenting what was
needed to make it work so that we could share progress in the
struggle.  And it was always a struggle.  I have done that and it was
useful.  But I stopped doing it when I started using ThinkPads.  The
reason is that I stopped needing to do anything special to install a
working system on a ThinkPad.  Everything just worked.  Having used
other brands it was always like being beaten with a stick.  Moving to
the ThinkPad was like having the pain stop.

The ThinkPads traditionally have been just very normal and standard
hardware.  Being mainstream this meant the Linux kernel drivers were
sufficient and well supported.  This is what made them so nice.  But
as unsupported wifi chips and graphics drivers get added to newer
machines this means that now you have to be careful not to get one of
those.  Now you have to watch out and make sure the components are
supportable.  I don't think future ThinkPads will be as uniformly
supportable as the older models.

On various ThinkPads of mine and others I have replaced fans (three),
keyboards (once), individual keys (once), display (backlight died),
busted plastic case parts (once).  You can repair them.  And taking
them apart and putting them together with the new parts is usually
pretty straight-forward.  My 2004 T42 is still running great.

Bob