Re: lenny to squeeze upgrade health check....

In <[🔎] AANLkTi=2xPk3eJz0GEDmmn7UMyO9zoHS784CZW7j1v6r@mail.gmail.com>, Michael
Fothergill wrote:
>I upgraded from Lenny to Squeeze on my AMD64 box.  It did work but I
>got some grumbles about the package grabbing applet not being able to
>find some files it wanted from the repositories and some grumbling
>about one or two disorganised package dependencies in Openoffice and
>other minor grumbles.

Did you read the Squeeze release notes and follow the upgrade instructions
therein?  If not, the upgrade likely didn't complete correctly.

>But I am running it nevertheless.   What commands could I run to do a
>sort of upgrade health check?  Something like aptitude
>sniff-out-bad-dependencies
>and aptitude try-to-repair-them-if -possible?

(aptitude install) or (apt-get install) actually do both of those
automatically.  (apt-get -f install) works harder at it, but (aptitude
install) can use the interactive resolver for tough situations.

>P.S.  The window managing program that starts xwindows automatically
>from the login prompt doesn't seem to have installed so I am having to
>type startx at the terminal but then gnome fires up OK.....

Make sure you have gdm, kdm, or xdm installed and that it is running
correctly.