Re: Starting NFS common utilities failed!

on 03:33 Fri 04 Feb, T o n g (mlist4suntong@yahoo.com) wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 14:04:52 -0800, Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
>
> >> How do I fix this problem?
> >>
> >> % invoke-rc.d nfs-common start
> >> Starting NFS common utilities: statd failed! invoke-rc.d: initscript
> >> nfs-common, action "start" failed.
> >>
> >> Apparently, it's a common error but nobody knows the answer:
> >>
> >> http://. . .
> >>
> >> All are just symptom report with no solution.
> >>
> >> debian testing,
> >>
> >>  $ apt-cache policy nfs-common
> >>  nfs-common:
> >>   Installed: 1:1.2.2-4
> >>   Candidate: 1:1.2.2-4
> >>   Version table:
> >>  *** 1:1.2.2-4 0
> >>         360 http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
> >>          50 http://cdn.debian.net/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
> >>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> >
> > A good first debugging step is to run the script via 'bash -x':
> >
> >     sudo bash -x /etc/init.d/nfs-common start
>
> Thanks for the reply. The whole execution log is posted at
> http://pastebin.com/SQefWNQs
>
> Seems to me that the reason of failure is the failure of
>
>   statd+ start-stop-daemon --start --oknodo --quiet --exec /sbin/rpc.statd
> --
>  + RET=1

Yep, same here.

>  $ file /sbin/start-stop-daemon
>  /sbin/start-stop-daemon: ELF 64-bit LSB executable
>
>  $ ls -l /sbin/rpc.statd
>  -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 65776 2010-08-26 23:25 /sbin/rpc.statd*
>
> Rings any bell?

Not off the top of my head.  Or the bottom.

Try launching the daemon manually, with the '-d' (debug) option.   See
if that gives you anything more.

strace would be my next try.  Googling suggests a missing config file or
state file -- does /var/lib/nfs/ exist, and is it populated?

    /var/lib/nfs/statd/sm/state
    /var/lib/nfs/statd/sm/*
    /var/lib/nfs/statd/sm.bak/*

--