Re: apache2 ftp password

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 23:53:22 +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:

> For the purpose of web site development and testing, I installed apache2
> as a local http server on another machine in the LAN.
>
> The default web page directory is /var/www .  Of course, this directory
> is owned by root.
>
> I would like to use an ftp client such as ncftp or lftp to upload web
> pages to the local server, just as I would upload pages to the server of
> a commercial hosting outfit.  But I do not wish to use the root password
> for this purpose, even within the protected environment of the LAN.

(...)

Apache is not the program where to look, but the ftp server, as Waqqas
already said.

You can instruct ftp server to use system users or virtual users, with no
shell access at all. After that, you will have to disable anonymous
logins, chroot your ftp users to their web upload folder (i.e., under "/
var/www/site1.com/") and play with "local_umask" and
"file_open_mode" (name of these values may vary, those are for Vsftpd)
parameters to get the desired behaviour.

To avoid sending text clear login information (username and password) you
can also add SSL/TLS (FTPS).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón