Re: Ubuntu -> LMDE: migrate packages using `aptitude` alone?

Hi Tom,

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> wrote:

> >From other reading, one way to do this is
>
> # in terminal in ubuntu
> dpkg --get-selections > "${PACKAGE_FILE}"
> # in terminal in LMDE
> sudo dpkg --set-selections < "${PACKAGE_FILE}"
> sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
> sudo aptitude update
> sudo aptitude -s full-upgrade

I'm not sure whether you can do it with aptitude alone, but this
method should work. The only issue may be if there are packages in
Ubuntu that are not in LMDE. Also, if you do the aptitiude update
prior to the dselect-upgrade, I don't think you'll need the last
full-upgrade...But again, I've always gone through Debian, so all bets
may be off going Ubuntu -> LMDE.

> Is that correct? If so:
>
> I've been managing its packages exclusively with `aptitude` and would
> prefer to continue doing so. I'd like to know,
>
> 1 Is there a way to do all of the above using only `aptitude`?
>
> if not,
>
> 2 Is there a way to do all of the above using only `aptitude` and `dpkg`?
>  I.e. is there an `aptitude` equivalent of `apt-get dselect-upgrade`?
>  FWIW I don't see that argument in `info aptitude`.
>
> alternatively,
>
> 3 Is there a reason to prefer the [`dpkg`, `apt-get`, `aptitude`]
>  workflow above to a purely-`aptitude` workflow for this usecase?

Well, for me, dpkg + apt-get is what works. Plus I back up the package
lists, drive partitions, etc daily.