Re: Squeeze. 'Buffer I/O error' message has flooding tty opened as root

Op Mon, 24 Jan 2011 20:24:05 +0300
Mark Goldshtein <mark.goldshtein@gmail.com> schreef:

> Hello, list!
>
> I am working as a root in a pure console (/etc/init.d/gdm3 stop,
> trying to bring to life VIA8623 graphics) and there are flood of
> messages:
You don' need gdm or anything X related for plain console usage.

> [time stamp] Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
> end_request:  I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
>
> Messages are stopped after a while, though. Maybe 20-30 of them
> passed.
>
> The notebook I am working with is an old boy, you bet, but there is no
> floppy drive at all and it was never attached. In addition, no signs
> of that message in GUI GNOME.
> What the underground heartbeat I have?

If you don't have/need a floppy drive, disable it.
Since you seem to be running a full desktop as well, one of your
user-space applications might be calling for this (non-existing)
device (use "lsmod | grep -i floppy" to see if it's being used).

Easy solution:
Blacklist it.

Edit "/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf" and add " blacklist
floppy" (without the "s).

jens.