Re: Where are "xrandr" settings stored?

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 10:14:34PM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2011-01-22, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Yesterday I faced a "chicken-egg" problem :-)
> >
> > I have a virtual machine (virtualbox) in a notebook with Squeeze
> > installed and wanted to add an external 17" LCD display (native
> > resolution is 1280x1024).
> >
> > The problem came when I mistyped the command and gave xrandr a "wrong
> > value" to use (by "wrong value" I'll just say that viewable screen area
> > was 1280x60... yes, that reads "60" for the screen height).
>
> [...]
>
> VirtualBox stores the last window size for each guest OS, in the file
> ~/.VirtualBox/Machines/[machine_name]/[machine_name].xml. For example:
>
> 	<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastGuestSizeHint" value="720,400"/>
>
> (I think you mentioned elsewhere in this thread that you tried the same
> experiment on a USB stick, with the same result, but the above could
> help you recover the guest OS' dimensions.)

I think this is the nub of the problem. xrandr requested the resolution
change, Virtualbox complied and then when you restart X, the size of the
modified window is detected by Xorg.

I suspect that, if you had the VirtualBox tools installed in the guest,
you could have fixed this just by doing Machine -> Auto-resize Guest
Display.