Re: Keyboard freezing/repeating endlessly

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 15:00:01 -0600
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

> Joe Riel wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:17:32 +0000 (UTC)
> > Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Thanks... yup, I see something suspicious (or maybe not) at the end
> >> of the file:
> >>
> >> ***
> >> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> >> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> >> (II) UVC Camera (046d:09a1): Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> >> (II) Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM): Device
> >> reopened after 1 attempts. (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard:
> >> Device reopened after 1 attempts. (II) Macintosh mouse button
> >> emulation: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> >>
> >> (II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Close
> >> (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> >> (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Close
> >> (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> >> (II) Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM): Close
> >>
> >> (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> >> (II) UVC Camera (046d:09a1): Close
> >> (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> >> (II) Power Button: Close
> >> (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> >> (II) Power Button: Close
> >> (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
> >> ***
> >>
> >> "evdev" module is unloaded for no apparent reason but not sure if
> >> this a normal/common log.
> >
> > To check this, I just restarted the machine and compared the
> > Xorg.0.log.old file created with the one following a lockup
> > (and subsequent restart).  The unloading of evdev appears normal,
> > however, what is not in the "normal" restart log are the lines
> >
> >> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> >> Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> >
> > Any idea what that might indicate?
> >

> Got that too:
>
> /var/logThu Jan 13-14:57:09# grep Power Xorg.0.log
> (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event2)
> (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
> (**) Power Button: always reports core events
> (**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
> (II) Power Button: Found keys
> (II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type:
> KEYBOARD) (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button
> (/dev/input/event1) (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev
> keyboard catchall" (**) Power Button: always reports core events
> (**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event1"
> (II) Power Button: Found keys
> (II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type:
> KEYBOARD) (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> (II) Power Button: Device reopened after 1 attempts.
> [...]

That does look suspicious.  Thanks for pointing it out.
At the very least, if normal, it is extremely cryptic.
That information notice appears in all my Xorg.0.log
files.

Maybe I have to toggle the power button to clear the
repeating key 8-)

--
Joe Riel