Re: firewall package for laptop wi-fi client

On Tue 04 Jan 2011 at 09:20:39 -0500, Brad Alexander wrote:

> If you are on a public wifi, you can turn off ssh server (the client
> will still work) and nrpe (the Nagios client). On the other hand, if
> you turn off password auth in ssh, you should be relatively safe
> leaving ssh running. xmpp is the jabber client, and if you are not
> using chat, then that should be turned off.

Why should any server which is safe to use on a home network become less
safe when on any other network, public wifi or not? sshd, for example,
is as impregnable in a café as it is in your kitchen. I'd have no
qualms leaving every server I normally run in a listening state.