Re: firewall package for laptop wi-fi client [going OT]

On the 03/01/2011 05:42, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> I need recommendations for a Debian firewall package to be installed
> on a laptop or notebook which is used for web browsing and web-based
> email in public wi-fi hotspots.
>
> My concern is to prevent infection or compromise of the laptop, so
> that the laptop may be connected safely to a home or
> office LAN which is protected by a dedicated firewall.
>
> My previous experience with firewalls has been limited to dedicated
> machines running firewall software such as SmoothWall.
>
> RLH

Off topic for Debian but relevant to your question I came across an
article today in Ars Technica :
http://arstechnica.com/security/guides/2011/01/stay-safe-at-a-public-wi-fi-hotspot.ars

Might be worth reading if you are in the blue regarding security
implications of open networks.