Re: set privoxy to rewrite http to https

In <[🔎] pan.2011.01.01.18.04.30@gmail.com>, Camaleón wrote:
>On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 03:46:09 -0800, S Mathias wrote:
>> KB SSL Enforcer
>> https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/flcpelgcagfhfoegekianiofphddck
>> of?hl=en
>>
>> so i could browse the net safer [i mean webserver <-> me] with using
>> https, if available.
>
>Do you feel "safer" just for browsing the web using "https"? Sure,
>your data is encrypted but the server you are contacting can have
>been compromised and you still can be hosed >:-)
>
>What I want to say is that security is _not just_ encryption.

That's why SSL also does identity verification.  There has to be a trust chain
between you and the remote site certificate.

(In fact, without this, the encryption is mostly useless since an MITM attack
is available.)

Using HTTPS where possible /is/ *safer*, than not doing so, but it doesn't
protect you from all threats.  In particular, if Facebook (etc.) stores your
private information and then later gets "pwned" by crackers, the crackers will
have access to that data.