Re: USB device attached via RS232 adaptor

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 22:08:16 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> He's got a few of these connected via serial adaptors:
> http://www.infinityusb.com/default.asp?show=productsdetail&ProductID=12
>
> Why aren't they on real USB, I don't know.

Because the device may expect a USB host controller instead a RS-232 :-?

> I am going over there to help
> him tomorrow, so to come prepared I started googling today. Although the
> USB-serial adaptors seem to be popular, I find nothing about how to
> mount devices attached to them.

What seems to be more popular are RS-232 devices (modems, printers...)
connected/attached to a computer USB host port, but not the opposite.

> I am assuming that, being a card reader,
> I will be able to mount the media (card).

Mmm, have you tested it? :-?

Insert a smartcard and check the output of "dmesg" and "mount" commands.
They will tell.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón