Re: "No devices found" in X

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:15:43 +0100
Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2010-12-20 04:56 +0100, Celejar wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 22:25:55 +0100
> > Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> >> You need to set CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y in your kernel configuration.  See
> >> the recent bug reports on the xserver-xorg-video-intel package.
> >
> > Right you are, as usual.  We have this:

> > So I fixed that, and now I seemed to be worse off than before - the
> > system seemed to just hang early on in the boot process with a blank
> > screen.
>
> This may be due to the use of a framebuffer in grub2, or because
> CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is not set in the kernel configuration.  For
> the former, try to disable the framebuffer and use text mode (please
> consult the grub documentation how to do that, I'm not using grub2
> myself yet).

Not using Grub2, and in any event, I'm pretty sure that we're well out
of grub when the problem begins.

> > I've checked the framebuffer section of my kernel config, and made sure
> > that FB_I810 is enabled, but the problem remains.  Am I on the right
> > track?
>
> No, FB_I810 is for older Intel graphics, not for yours.  You should not
> enable it.

Yeah, I know that I don't use i810 stuff, but the kernel docs are so
incomplete / inaccurate in this area, so I just wasn't sure.  E.g., the
help for DRM_I915 mentions 830M, 845G, 852GM, 855GM, 865G and 915G - no
mention of my 945GM.

> > Looking around some more, I see that the Gentoo Wiki claims that with
> > Intel and KMS the framebuffer drivers should *not* be built, and
> > *building* them may actually cause black screens!
>
> Building them is harmless, but loading them could cause a black screen.
> But I think intelfb and co. are all blacklisted, so should not be loaded
> unless you explicitly asked for them.

Got it.

> > Can anyone point me to a proper explanation of what I need to do to
> > get the console working here?
>
> You need CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y.  See also the Debian Wiki:
> http://wiki.debian.org/KernelModesetting.

CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is set to 'module'.  Does it really need to
be built in?  I suppose it can't hurt to check, unless you have any
other ideas.

Thanks much,
Celejar