RE: Is squeeze compatible woth WD20EARS and other 2TB drives?

> On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:46:59 +0100 <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> >
> > I'm planning to surprise my unsuspecting self with the above hard
> > drive for Christmas, but have read some alarming reports about
> > incompatibilities with GNU/Linux partitioning. Apparently, there are
> > no less than two distinct problems with these drivers:
>
> I am running squeeze with two WD10EARS drives (plus another different
> drive) in a RAID10. When setting things up, I decided to ignore this
> issue completely because I thought the tools would do the right thing
> automatically. Apparently, they don't, although the drive reports its
> correct physical sector size:
>
> # fdisk -ul /dev/sdc
>
> Disk /dev/sdc: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
> Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x00000000
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/sdc1 63 1953118439 976559188+ da Non-FS data
> Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

I don't understand the implied meaning of this error? Did you take any precautions as to the alignment of your partition? What about if you were planning on having multiple partitions?

> I don't have a serious performance issue, though. There's an encrypted
> LVM volume on top of it and throughput is limited by the CPU (Atom D510)
> at about 20-25MByte/s. An unencrypted volume I just created for this
> test yields 72MByte/s write and 98MByte/s read throughput on the RAID.

That sounds decent, how are you achieving RAID 1 over 0 (10) though with three drives? Perhaps that is another topic, but I typically see transfer rates of ~100MB/s give or take from a single modern SATA drive.