Re: keyboard issues (debian squeeze)

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Mike <debian@good-with-numbers.com> wrote:
>> I have a cheapo logitech usb keyboard (standard US layout).
>>
>> After using the computer for an indeterminate amount of time, one of
>> the keys will 'stick'
>
> Have you tried reseating the USB plug when this happens, or tried
> another port?

I'm sure this key repeat issue isn't a problem with my keyboard (even
though it's cheap :).  But to answer your question, no I haven't tried
unplugging/plugging my keyboard (it's hard to reach the socket without
a lot of faffing around)

This bug report shows exactly how hard it is to replicate this issue
reliably and to track down exactly where it is coming from:

I suspected it was related to fglrx drivers, but on my current install
I didn't include these and the key repeat problem is *still* there.

see also : http://ajaxxx.livejournal.com/62378.html

This problem makes debian (and ubuntu) extremely frustrating to use as
you never know when it will strike and when you'll have to reboot.  I
have reported this on launchpad for ubuntu, but I cannot actually find
my report now.

Googling for 'key repeat <debian|x|ubuntu>' returns various results
all discussing fixed/not fixed status of this - there is no clarity as
to what causes this, is it a regression etc.  The fact that tickets
are constantly 'closed' and then re-opened (the ticket above was
logged in 2007, with various claims that each release of ubuntu/X
fixed the problem).

I'm happy to provide as much information as possible to try and fix this
Kev