Re: Can Debian Backup ntfs File System?

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:00:01 +0000, Joe wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:47:31 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:20:27 +0100, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
>>

>> > Daughter is a banker, not computer scientist. IMHO many of those
>> > underestimate the importance of backups.
>>
>> Oh, c'mon. There is no need to be a "computer scientist" to care about
>> your data. Not today. You can buy a USB external disk (or DVD media)
>> and put there your beloved files. Even Windows can automate this task
>> for you.
>>

> I think what he's saying is that there are only two classes of user who
> are even aware of the possibility of data loss:
>
> - People who work in IT
>
> - Other people who have already lost data, who never had backups
>
> Almost every other computer user will look at you blankly if you ask
> 'what will you do if the hard drive fails?' because they are unable to
> grasp the concept.

Yes, I see the point.

I have been working in IT tech. support for many years and finally
reached the conclusion there are two kinds of people: 1) those who care
about what they are doing and want to learn -they can be savvier or
dummier but at least they demonstrate interest- and 2) those who treat
their computers the same as a fridge or cleaning vacuum :-)

For 1) I always try to give them the proper information, at least a "jump
point" from where to start digging and also answer their questions
whatever they are.

My advice for 2) is "rent a computer guy -or be next to a nerd- to do the
job or you will face serious problems in a couple of months" >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón