Retrieve process ID from process name

I am trying to retrieve the process ID from a process' name, optionally with its command parameters.
I look up the man page of 'sysctl' and the use of this API seems to be discouraged. It points the /proc file system.
The /proc does contains all the running processes, with their ID as the directory name, and their command line as a file 'cmdline' under that subdirectory.
Is there an API get the information out easily or do I have to open the file '/proc' and iterate through the sub-directories with number (PID) as the file name and get the content of 'cmdline'. (That seems to be very cumbersome.)

Any help is appreciated.
Alex