Re: rkhunter report

In <[🔎] 4CE83A40.5030801@pcartwright.com>, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>On 11/20/2010 03:59 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> Many people don't consider Debian stable up-to-date even with packages
>> from security.debian.org and volatile.debian.org in use.  It is possible
>> that the development / release team of rkhunter contains some of those
>> people.
>
>I have volatile commented out in my sources.list.. should I be using it?

I recommend it, but there aren't that many packages in it anyway so you are
likely not missing anything.

Volatile is meant for updates to packages whose usefulness naturally degrades
as time passes, like virus scanners and spam filters.  IIRC, occasionally IM
software is even updated when proprietary protocols change.  Basically stuff
that loses functionality because of reasons outside of Debian's control.  In
some ways it overlaps with backports, since new upstream versions are allowed
in some cases.  It has been official much longer than backports, IIRC.

It isn't appropriate for fixing security flaws; that's what the security
repository is for.  It isn't for new upstream versions because the new version
has additional features that the old version is lacking; that's what the
backports repository is for.