Re: Why is troubleshooting Linux so hard?

In <[🔎] 1290183489.3477.10.camel@Firefly.bordenrhodes.com>, Borden Rhodes wrote:
>Can I get a second on Teddy's opinion?  I tend to believe that I just
>share the Linux experience, and if I can get something useful done
>whilst the computer is willing, so much the better.  Is this the truth
>about open source software?  Maybe I am in the wrong distribution and
>I'm wasting the list's time.

That's not my experience at all.  Crashes are exceedingly rare for me.  I have
had a few single-application lockups, but that is usually bad Javascript or
Flash causing issues in my browser.  Killing a few processes or switching to a
browser with those features turned off lets me pick up right where I started.

I mainly use Debian stable (first Etch, now Lenny), but I use a mixed system
to pull some packages from testing or unstable.  It started with KDE 4.2 from
unstable; once the freeze started I installed a number of things from testing;
at this point, most of my system is testing, but testing is about to become
the new stable (Squeeze).

Prior to moving to Debian, I used Gentoo.  Crashes weren't really more
frequent, but I encountered more issues when trying to keep the system up-to-
date.  I felt I was spending to much time administering my system and not
enough time using it.